6.2 Release Notes
The Appspace 6.2 release contains various enhancements and bug fixes. This version is for both Appspace Cloud and On-Premises.
The 6.2 on-premises build released on September 9th 2017, includes all items across 6.2-ac releases to date.
Appspace 6.2 On-Premises Specific Improvements
This major on-premise build will include all items across 6.2-ac releases to date. For a comprehensive view of all items that are included, please refer below.
New licensing framework
A new licensing framework that simplifies license activation, and includes a license management workflow that is scalable and specifically designed to be operated self-service by the customer via our cloud-based Account Management Portal.
The new framework contains:
- Online activation
- Simplified offline activation
- Dated components in metadata
- Consolidated license
- License deactivation/replacement
- Fallback licenses
- Supported upgrade enforcement
- Standards based cryptography (PKI)
For the new activation workflow of your on-premises server, please refer to Activating Appspace on-premises.
Appspace 6.2 on-premises currently includes support for MySQL only. Support for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 (MS SQL) is not yet available for Appspace 6.2. Please contact Appspace Support for more information.
Support for MS SQL has been added in version 6.2.2 as stated below.
- AE-3312 - Error loading the Library after upgrading to Appspace 6.1 on-premises.
- AE-3383 - Error loading the Library after upgrading to Appspace 6.1 on-premises.
- A new licensing workflow, Advanced Licensing, activates a pre-allocated Appspace on-premises server which has online communications to Appspace Cloud. Unlike Manual Licensing, the Administrator will be able to input the Device and User ID values for pre-allocation at the point of activation, without having to access the Appspace Management Portal, as licenses and receipts are automatically generated and synced to the Cloud.
- AP-14332 - Server deactivation does not redirect to the receipt page for older Appspace versions.
- AP-14379 - Premium User ID shows ‘0’ after on-premises server is licensed.
- AP-14381 - Unable to upgrade to Appspace 6.2, after licensing older version of Appspace via the Appspace Licence Manager.
- AP-14383 - Incorrect installation date retrieved when generating a server profile.
- AP-14414 - API security enhancement.
- Support for Microsoft SQL Server 2012 with Appspace on-premises.
- Optimizations to the Weather widget API to improve performance.
- AP-14047 - Running a query in networks, weather widgets, or text tickers, fails intermittently and causes performance issues.
- AP-14285 - Unable to delete account in Appspace Administrator mode.
- AP-14505 - Unable to create ‘Templates’ in Alerts if there are existing templates, after an upgrade to Appspace 6.2.2.
- AE-2849 - Installation of Appspace on-premises 6.0.2 fails.
- AE-2868 - When performing any action in Users, the server performance is slow.
- AE-3303 - Notifications generate incorrect player reports.
- AE-3484 - Unable to delete users with Portal Administrator permissions.
- AE-3501 - Content name is different in reports.
- AE-3577 - The “Element Creation Error” error message is displayed when adding a Media Zone widget.
- AE-3617 - The Edge 340 player does not sync content correctly although player status is online.
- AE-3639 - A new user who has accepted the invitation, does not appear in Users.
- AE-3677 - Unable to load user listings in Sign Permissions tab.
- AE-3679 - Content name is replaced with numbers after the content is added to a Media Container widget in Appspace 6.1.
The Appspace 6.2.3 on-premises build is currently only compatible with MySQL.
- AE-3602 - User who accepts invitation to Appspace, encounters an error when attempting to login to Appspace.
- AE-3605 - Invited user disappears from the user list in the Appspace console, after the invitation is accepted.
- AE-3710 - System performance is slow after upgrading to Appspace 6.2 from version 5.8.7.
- AE-3743 - Existing device tags are duplicated when new tags are added via the “Tag Player(s)”” button.
- AE-3745 - Account owner is unable to assign network or content admin permissions.
- AE-3864 - Unable to license the server after a renewal.
- AE-3900 - Unable to license the server after a renewal.
- AE-3923 - Unable to license the server after a renewal.
Appspace 6.2 Cloud and On-Premises Specific Improvements
- AP-13540 - Inaccurate storage and bandwidth information displayed in the Subscription page on cloud and on-premises.
- AP-13601 - An error is returned in Downloads and the downloads list is not displayed, in private cloud servers.
- SIGN-643 - A player previously added to the tag rule for a content in a sign, disappears from the tagged content when the tag rule is edited.
- AP-13194 - Inconsistent error messages displayed when the library hits the storage limit in Cloud.
- AP-13689 - The AD Authentication Parameters configuration is not saved in the Authentication tab on Cloud.
- AP-13695 - Content uploaded to library on cloud, duplicates the content into a “temp” folder on the server.
- AP-13739 - User is automatically granted network permissions on root network, after the user’s assigned user group membership has been removed on Cloud.
- AE-3042 - Portrait sign channels do not display correctly in Channels.
- AE-3073 - A SmartHub that was successfully registered does not appear in Networks.
- AE-3085 - Content becomes corrupted, if content allocation is not removed from the media zone widget, after the content is deleted.
- AE-3124 - When underscore ‘_’ is used in the username, the username does not display correctly.
- AE-3133 - Application permissions does not work as expected for a data-only sign.
- AE-3153 - When scheduling in a sign, the previous day is reflected instead and not the initially selected end date.
- AE-3185 - Content becomes corrupted, if content allocation is not removed from the media zone widget, after the content is deleted.
- AE-3200 - Blank screen is displayed, even when player status indicates as online and in sync.
- AE-3210 - Unable to update or add content to a sign layout.
- AE-3232 - The Media Zone widget becomes corrupted, if media folders are deleted but the media is still allocated to the sign.
- AE-3280 - Unable to sort the number of players assigned to a sign.
Support for custom thumbnails for sign channels that are displayed on Appspace App in both device mode and user mode.
- Existing sign channels that have been previously assigned in channel groups, must be removed from the channel group and then re-added after the thumbnail is updated.
- Custom thumbnail images should ideally have a 16:9 aspect ratio for best display results.
- An extra margin appears around the border when viewing the thumbnail on a web client (user mode).
Updates to the Channel user interface on cloud to support the following features:
- Sort option for Channel content:
- Sort alphabetically by title.
- Sort chronologically by created date.
- Sort chronologically by updated date.
- UI update in Channel Group view:
- Switched the placement of Library channels and Live channels.
- Added a bread crumb link for the Channel Group home.
- Added links to channel items in Channel Group:
- Playlist channels are now linked to the Library folder.
- Live channels are now linked to the Channel edit, under Live Streams section in Configuration.
- Sign channels link to the appropriate sign in Signs.
- Sort option for Channel content:
Introduction of the Web View card, a new Appspace Supported card type that allows users to display web content, with options such as:
- Embed Options - to determine how the web page is displayed on the device.
- Web Page Scaling - option to fit to screen or to display the web page at a certain resolution.
- Web Page Cropping - to select a particular section of the web site to display.
- Customization options:
- Disable Interactivity - to prevent users from clicking on the web page or scrolling if the device has a touch screen or mouse attached.
- Display while loading - the web site will start displaying before it is fully loaded. Some elements will load after the web page is displayed.
- Background Color/Image - to specify a background for the web site. This will be visible only if the web site has transparent background or if the media zone aspect ratio does not match the web site section’s aspect ratio.
- Known issues:
- Certain webpage designs are not responsive (does not show in fullscreen) on UWP.
- XMLHttpRequest (XHR) proxy event in cards is not supported on UWP.
- The “Authentication Required’ message is displayed on UWP and IEC devices, when the authenticated web URL credentials are set.
- Web content causes memory leak and the device reboots on some devices with low specifications.
- X-frame options - web sites that do not allow X-frame cannot be embedded so the iframe option will not work.
- Mixed content warning - this is caused by web sites that do not support HTTPS. Our cloud is HTTPS so displaying HTTP content will result in this error.
- Thumbnail generation - for most web sites, the thumbnail generator will not work (anything that uses the XHR proxy). If the thumbnail is blank users can still manually upload one to the card once it is created.
- XHR proxy - this implementation will not work if web sites block the proxy.
- AP-13491 - In Private cloud, pass-through users authenticated via LDAP are able to login via Appspace App in user mode, even after their subscription has expired.
- AP-13833 - Unable to edit and save changes on any imported Signs channel.
- AP-13879 - Custom logo edited in Channels is not displayed in the web client theme when device is offline.
- CT-173 - Uploaded background image is not shown in the Announcement card during playback on some BrightSign and IEC devices.
- SIGN-637 - Content pending approval or denied by the administrator, is unable to load the Content Properties page.
- SIGN-652 - Content pending approval does not require approval after Content Manager edits the content properties.
- SIGN-653 - Content pending approval becomes administrator’s content after user updates the content properties.
- SIGN-659 - Content pending approval expires and is not viewable, after content is edited and saved by the Content Manager (Widget level).
- SIGN-660 - Content pending approval cannot be viewed by the Content Administrator if he does not have permissions to the content.
- SIGN-661 - Content approval is not required when the Widget Manager uploads content to the widget.
- SIGN-662 - Status of declined content which has been edited, will not be “Pending”.
- SIGN-663 - Content remains approved when the Content Administrator declines the edited approved content.
- SIGN-665 - An error occurs when the Content Administrator tries to view content uploaded to the Media Container by the Content Manager or Widget Manager.
- AE-3079 - HTML text editor, and the color picker function does not work correctly on Internet Explorer 11.
- AE-3250 - Frequency Restrictions settings in a sign are incorrectly saved.
- AE-3251 - The Content Expiry date changes when the content property is reopened.
- AE-3255 - Unable to display more than 101 card themes in the Card Themes page.
- AE-3302 - Error when deleting content.
- AE-3309 - Incorrect content size is displayed in Networks.
- AE-3315 - Unable to display more than 101 card themes in the Library.
- Research and development to support future devices.
- Added option to add images in a card by browsing the Appspace Library.
- AP-13873 - Expired content is not removed, and is still displayed on the web client.
- AP-13908 - Deployments page does not display correctly for users with many networks, when viewed in Chrome.
- AP-13911 - A new user is unable to copy content that is shared globally by the Portal Administrator.
- SIGN-691 - Schedule Manager is unable to view, or edit the content playout properties in the Media Zone widget.
- SIGN-692 - An expiry date is displayed unexpectedly in the content listing once the Content Manager edits the Content Properties and Summary.
- AE-3328 - All content is downloaded, despite tags being used in Layout Scheduling.
- AE-3406 - Transcoded content name is randomly changed.
- AE-3408 - Hex value feature in the HTML text editor is unavailable in Cards.
- AE-3451 - Unable to change the refresh duration for dynamic media.
- AP-13995 - During an API application startup, the proxy is not configured, resulting in failed or delayed HTTP requests to login to Appspace cloud services.
- SIGN-596 - Selected player tags are not displayed in the content Schedule page in a sign.
- AE-3380 - Font changes made in a Table Listing widget are not saved.
- AE-3423 - Weather widget unable to fetch accurate weather data.
- AE-3455 - When creating a new card theme, the Card that was previewed continuously plays in the background, even after the card theme has been closed.
- AE-3470 - The ‘Exactly’ Frequency Restrictions setting for content in a sign, does not execute effectively.
- AE-3479 - A content in the Sign library, has incorrect widget names listed in the content properties Allocations tab.
- AE-3482 - Unable to publish content and create signs with custom settings automatically without needing to login to the Appspace console.
- AE-3502 - A POST API command for scheduling of a media in the media zone, returns the ‘User does not exist or user’s group is null’ error message.
- AP-14129 - Appspace fails to add metric, when playout metric is enabled for a sign.
- SIGN-709 - Player group selected when adding tag rules in an advanced sign, is not saved.
- AE-3376 - Updating BrightSign player firmware via Device Tasks displays an error.
- AE-3501 - Unable to detect content name in report generated.
Added a new Frequency Restriction in the Sign Playout Properties settings. This setting, ‘Air Time %’, provides frequency playout option for total display time of content items in a playlist. Check out the description in the Configuring content properties article.
This feature requires Appspace App 1.20 as a prerequisite.
- AP-14191 - Existing video content in Media Zone does not have the “FixedVideoDuration” metadata in the script.
Support for the Appspace Announcement Card and Web Page Card in Alerts, on HTML5-based devices.
This feature requires Appspace App 1.21 as a prerequisite, and does not support legacy devices.