Appspace has developed a new plugin that integrates the Appspace Space Reservations system with Microsoft Outlook, allowing users to directly book resources and workspaces configured in the Appspace reservations system, from a Microsoft Outlook desktop or web client. For organizations using Microsoft 365 (previously Office 365), the solution offers integration with Exchange resources.
This feature integrates and synchronizes the Appspace Space Reservations capabilities with Microsoft Outlook appointment forms to provide the following capabilities:
- Installable as an add-in to the Microsoft Outlook desktop client and web client. Supports Office 2016 or greater.
- Displays an Appspace Places button in the Microsoft Outlook Meeting ribbon in the Appointment tab.
- When the Appspace Places button is clicked, a Appspace Places pane is displayed on the side panel in the appointment/meeting request form.
- The Appspace Places pane can be toggled On or Off.
- Users can search for a meeting space if one hasn’t been selected in the location field of the meeting request form.
- Once the user selects a meeting space, the location field is updated with the appropriate Microsoft Exchange resource.
- If the date and time has been selected in the Outlook form, apply filtering to the Appspace add-in.
- The Appspace Places panel allows users to filter/search for the following:
- Zone (if a floor has zones)
- Workplace type (Room or Space)
- Workspace (Subtype)
- Status (Available & Unavailable)
- Room capacity
- Users can Apply/Cancel/Update/Delete the meetings.
This feature is currently available as part of our Limited Release program, and the plugin must be installed manually. The Appspace Places Outlook 365 add-in will be provided to you by your Customer Success Manager (CSM) as a manifest.xml file, which must be installed manually or sideloaded to your Microsoft Outlook email account.
When the program becomes generally available (GA), users will be able to install the plugin directly from their Microsoft Outlook clients as an add-in.
This article provides instructions for users to install the Appspace Places Outlook 365 plugin for Microsoft Outlook.
- An Appspace user account with Premium user licenses.
- Appspace Space Reservations system configured with a Microsoft 365 calendar provider.
- Resources and workspaces configured in the Appspace Space Reservations system.
- The Appspace Places Outlook 365 add-in (manifest.xml file).
- A Microsoft Outlook email account.
- A Microsoft Outlook desktop/web client.
Limitations in Limited Release
- This add-in is currently only supported on Windows desktop and web clients.
Configure the Appspace Places for Outlook 365 Plugin on MS Outlook
Space Reservations Administrator
The Appspace Space Reservations administrator is required to select the default calendar authentication passport that will be used in order to integrate the Outlook 365 plugin with the calendar provider that is used for Reservations. This passport will be used by default to search any resources/rooms by email once the plugin is installed.
Follow the instructions below to select an O365 passport to integrate with the Appspace Places Outlook 365 add-in:
- Log in to the Appspace console.
- Click Reservations from the ☰ Appspace menu, and click the Settings tab.
- Click the Integrations tab, and select the Calendar plugin passport that is used as the booking account for Reservations.
Install the Appspace Places for Outlook 365 Plugin on MS Outlook
Follow the instructions below to install and configure the Appspace Places Outlook 365 add-in on your computer:
- Please follow the instructions to manually install (sideload) the Appspace Places for Outlook 365 add-in, depending on your MS Outlook version by referring to the following article: Sideload Outlook add-ins for Testing.
- Once installed and enabled, click the Appspace Places button on the ribbon to display the Appspace Places side panel.
- Click the Sign In button.
- Proceed to select your Appspace deployment type and enter your Appspace credentials, as follows:
- Click PUBLIC CLOUD LOGIN, if your organization’s Appspace deployment is on the public cloud and accessed via https://cloud.appspace.com.
- If your organization’s Appspace deployment is on a private cloud, or accessed via a custom domain, enter the Appspace URL, and click CUSTOM DOMAIN LOGIN.
- Proceed to enter your Appspace credentials and click LOG IN.
- The Appspace Places for Outlook 365 add-in will begin establishing a connection and configuring the add-in with your organization’s Appspace deployment.
- Once done and login is successful, the Appspace Places side panel will display the Welcome to Appspace Places window.
Reserve Workspace via MS Outlook
Follow the instructions below to reserve a workspace with the Appspace Places for Outlook 365 add-in in Microsoft Outlook:
- Log in to your Microsoft Outlook email client, and proceed to create a New Meeting.
- Click the Appspace Places button in the ribbon to display the Appspace Places side panel.
- Enter the following meeting details:
- Start Date and Time
- Optionally, you may also enter other information such as if the reservation would be All day or Recurring.
- You may click the Get Started button to explore the features available in Appspace Places, and a step-by-step guide to select your workspace. Optionally, you may check the Skip this next time checkbox to access the Appspace Places directly.
- You may search and select your desired workspace resource, similar to how you would on the Appspace Employee App, and may utilize the filters to further narrow down workspace resources.
- Once a workspace resource has been selected, click Send to complete the reservation process. The meeting invitation will be sent to all attendees.