Appspace has developed a new plugin that integrates the Appspace Space Reservations system with Microsoft Outlook, allowing users to directly book resources and workspaces configured in the Appspace reservations system, from a Microsoft Outlook desktop or web client. For organizations using Microsoft 365 (previously Office 365), the solution offers integration with Exchange resources.
This feature integrates and synchronizes the Appspace Space Reservations capabilities with Microsoft Outlook appointment forms to provide the following capabilities:
- Installable as an add-in to the Microsoft Outlook desktop client and web client. Supports Office 2016 or greater.
- Displays an Appspace Places button in the Microsoft Outlook Meeting ribbon in the Appointment tab.
- When the Appspace Places button is clicked, a Appspace Places pane is displayed on the side panel in the appointment/meeting request form.
- The Appspace Places pane can be toggled On or Off.
- Users can search for a meeting space if one hasn’t been selected in the location field of the meeting request form.
- Once the user selects a meeting space, the location field is updated with the appropriate Microsoft Exchange resource.
- If the date and time has been selected in the Outlook form, apply filtering to the Appspace add-in.
- The Appspace Places panel allows users to filter/search for the following:
- Zone (if a floor has zones)
- Workplace type (Room or Space)
- Workspace (Subtype)
- Status (Available & Unavailable)
- Room capacity
- Users can Apply/Cancel/Update/Delete the meetings.
- Users may also create, edit, or delete the meetings on behalf of another employee, if their O365 account has been delegated by the booking account used to authenticate the O365 plugin.
This feature is currently available as part of our Limited Release program, and the plugin must be installed manually. The Appspace Places Outlook 365 add-in will be provided to you by your Customer Success Manager (CSM) as a manifest.xml file, which must be installed manually or sideloaded to your Microsoft Outlook email account.
When the program becomes generally available (GA), users will be able to install the plugin directly from their Microsoft Outlook clients as an add-in.
This article provides instructions for users to install the Appspace Places Outlook 365 plugin for Microsoft Outlook.
- An Appspace user account with Premium user licenses.
- Appspace Space Reservations system configured with a Microsoft 365 calendar provider.
- Resources and workspaces configured in the Appspace Space Reservations system.
- The Appspace Places Outlook 365 add-in (manifest.xml file).
- A Microsoft Outlook email account.
- A Microsoft Outlook desktop/web client.
Limitations in Limited Release
- This add-in is currently only supported on Windows desktop and web clients.
Configure the Appspace Places for Outlook 365 Plugin on MS Outlook
Space Reservations Administrator
The Appspace Space Reservations administrator is required to select the default calendar authentication passport that will be used in order to integrate the Outlook 365 plugin with the calendar provider that is used for Reservations. This passport will be used by default to search any resources/rooms by email once the plugin is installed.
Follow the instructions below to select an O365 passport to integrate with the Appspace Places Outlook 365 add-in:
- Log in to the Appspace console.
- Click the ☰ Appspace menu, and click Integrations.
- Click the Passports tab, and click the +ADD button.
- Select Office 365, and click Next.
- Select the preferred permissions as described below:
- Application Permissions – Application permissions are the recommended approach to connecting Appspace to Microsoft Office 365 as this will natively allow you to sync any meeting room calendar resource to Appspace. You will also have the ability to use the Outlook Add-in and book on behalf of features within the Appspace platform without having a complicated O365 configuration. You will still have full control over the resources you would like to sync when setting up the provider. You can also use Microsoft Application Access policies configured in O365 to restrict the scope that the Appspace application has access to.
- Delegated Permissions – Delegated permission gives Appspace access to Microsoft Office Calendar Resources based on the permissions of the service account you use to authorize the passport. This will require the service account to be added as a full delegate to each calendar resource needed to sync the information from and to Appspace and Office 365. This can include Meeting Room Calendars as well as possibly users’ calendars if utilizing the Outlook Add-in and book-on-behalf feature.
- User Permissions Only (Does not sync resources ) – User permissions uses the delegated permission model and is very similar to the Delegated Permission option. But this option only includes access to users’ calendars based on delegated access to each user’s calendar. Use this option if you want a dedicated passport for the Outlook Add-in and book-on-behalf.
- Click CONNECT.
- Proceed to authenticate the passport, and grant permissions to access the calendar provider account. You may be required to sign in with your calendar provider credentials if you are currently signed out.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to continue to configure the calendar provider passport.
- Once authenticated, in the Account Settings tab, you may perform the following actions:
- Change the name of the passport, by entering a different name in the Name field.
- View the Account ID of the passport.
- View the App Permissions granted to the passport.
- View and refresh the Status of the passport.
- Remove the passport, by clicking the Remove Account button.
- In the Permissions tab, you may grant the following users or user groups permissions to view or edit this passport configuration at any time:
- Enter and select the user(s) or user group(s) from the drop-down list, or click the Find users or user groups link, and select the desired user(s) or user group(s). Proceed to grant either Can Manage or Can View permissions by clicking the Select permissions drop-down menu.
- You may also view or remove the user(s) or user group(s) that have already been granted permissions, by clicking the delete icon.
Install the Appspace Places for Outlook 365 Plugin on MS Outlook
Follow the instructions below to install and configure the Appspace Places Outlook 365 add-in on your computer:
- Please follow the instructions to manually install (sideload) the Appspace Places for Outlook 365 add-in, depending on your MS Outlook version by referring to the following article: Sideload Outlook add-ins for Testing.
- Once installed and enabled, click the Appspace Places button on the ribbon to display the Appspace Places side panel.
- Click the Sign In button.
- Proceed to select your Appspace deployment type and enter your Appspace credentials, as follows:
- Click PUBLIC CLOUD LOGIN, if your organization’s Appspace deployment is on the public cloud and accessed via https://cloud.appspace.com.
- If your organization’s Appspace deployment is on a private cloud, or accessed via a custom domain, enter the Appspace URL, and click CUSTOM DOMAIN LOGIN.
- Proceed to enter your Appspace credentials and click LOG IN.
- The Appspace Places for Outlook 365 add-in will begin establishing a connection and configuring the add-in with your organization’s Appspace deployment.
- Once done and login is successful, the Appspace Places side panel will display the Welcome to Appspace Places window.
Reserve Workspace via MS Outlook
Follow the instructions below to reserve a workspace with the Appspace Places for Outlook 365 add-in in Microsoft Outlook:
- Log in to your Microsoft Outlook email client, and proceed to create a New Meeting.
- Click the Appspace Places button in the ribbon to display the Appspace Places side panel.
- Enter the following meeting details:
- Start Date and Time
- Optionally, you may also enter other information such as if the reservation would be All day or Recurring.
- You may click the Get Started button to explore the features available in Appspace Places, and a step-by-step guide to select your workspace. Optionally, you may check the Skip this next time checkbox to access the Appspace Places directly.
- You may search and select your desired workspace resource, similar to how you would on the Appspace Employee App, and may utilize the filters to further narrow down workspace resources.
- Once a workspace resource has been selected, click Send to complete the reservation process. The meeting invitation will be sent to all attendees.