With Broadcasts, you can quickly configure and publish important messages to several channels at the same time, including Digital Signage, the Appspace Employee App, and integrated enterprise messaging platforms, reaching teams and individual employees across different locations. Plus, Broadcasts utilize Appspace’s Channels model natively, so you can integrate with IPTV providers and emergency alert systems to automatically trigger critical notifications.
Broadcasts give you more than just emergency alerts and warnings. You can publish any content that’s important to your organization like upcoming live town halls and events, or noteworthy company news.
With Broadcasts, you can reach employees wherever they are. Whether you want to publish updates in messaging apps like Slack and Teams or reach frontline workers via the Employee App through notifications and pinned content, you can be sure your message won’t get missed.
With the release of Broadcasts the existing Alerts functionality should no longer be used. If you have any configured Alerts in your account, they are still available, but they should be migrated to Broadcasts in order to take advantage of the additional features and reach that Broadcasts offer, as well as ensure that the messaging is able to be distributed to your audience in the event. Alerts are no longer being supported moving forward and will be phased out completely by the end of 2023. For more information regarding Alert’s end-of-life, please visit our FAQ page here:
Broadcasts are used to effectively push urgent and critical messages out to devices and users either using specific targeting rules or to everyone, by means of the screen take over, user notifications and highlighted messages within the employee app.
This article provides administrators with an introduction to navigating the user interface and features available within the Broadcasts module in the Appspace console.
User Interface and Navigation
- The Broadcasts dashboard can be accessed via the ☰ Appspace menu from the Appspace console sidebar. Here, you’ll be able to view, create, and manage broadcasts within the Appspace console.
- All broadcasts listed on the dashboard, provide administrators with a quick glance at the following information:
- Broadcast name
- Broadcast trigger (ie. Manual or Schedule)
- Broadcast targets (ie. Device or User)
- Status (ie. Activate, Deactivate, Blank (Disabled))
- Priority (ie. Critical or Standard)
- The Create + button on the dashboard allows administrators to quickly create a broadcast.
- The All Locations drop-down menu displays a list of locations, allowing administrators to filter broadcasts based on geographical location.
- The Search field allows administrators to search for a specific broadcast by entering a keyword.
- The Broadcasts navigation tree displays a list of broadcast views that an administrator may use to quickly to view or manage broadcasts:
- All Broadcasts – Displays all broadcasts available.
- Active – Displays all currently active broadcasts.
- Scheduled – Displays all currently scheduled broadcasts.
- Manual – Displays all current broadcasts that are triggered manually or via an API trigger.
- Overview – Displays broadcast analytics. For more information, visit the Overview section below.
- Disabled – Displays all currently disabled broadcasts.
- History – Displays a historical view of all broadcast events.
The Broadcast listing displays the following information at a glance:
- Broadcast Name
- Broadcast Thumbnail Image
- Broadcast Trigger Type – Displays the broad trigger type.
- Broadcast Target – Displays the Broadcast target.
- Broadcast Status – Displays the Broadcast status.
- Disabled (blank)
- Broadcast Priority – Displays the broadcast priority.
- Ellipsis – Click the ellipsis to perform the following actions:
- Activate Now
- Edit Broadcast
- Configure Schedule
Overview displays an analytical view of broadcasts events based on the following statistics:
- Total Broadcasts
- Total Broadcasters
- Broadcasts by Priority
- Broadcasts by Source
- Broadcasts by Target
History displays a historical view of all broadcast events that have been activated, including broadcasts runtime, trigger details, and targets in the Last 30 days (default) or a specific duration that is selected from the calendar.
The Broadcasts Targeting section displays broadcasts that are based on either Devices or Users:
- Devices – Displays all broadcasts that have been assigned to all devices, specific devices, device groups, locations, or custom rules.
- Users – Displays all broadcasts that have been assigned to all users, specific users, user groups, or custom rules.
The Filter icon displays the filter bar, allowing administrators to filter broadcasts based on the following criteria:
- Target Type:
- All Target Types (default)
- All Status (default)
The Settings feature is currently under development; it is hidden by an internal release flag and is not accessible to the general public.
The Settings page allows administrators to assign Broadcast permissions to users:
- Assign Publisher permissions
- Assign Broadcast Permissions
Supported Broadcasts Target Devices
The broadcast feature is only supported on the following target devices and operating systems:
- BrightSign with Appspace App for Devices 2.54.0 or later.
- PWA with Appspace App for Devices 2.54.0 or later.
- Windows UWP with Appspace App for Devices 2.54.0 or later.
- Windows, Linux, MacOS with Appspace App for Devices 2.54.0 or later.
- Cisco RoomOS with Appspace App for Devices 2.54.1 or later.
- ChromeOS with Appspace App for Devices 2.55.0 or later.
- MediaVue with Appspace App for Devices 2.55.2 or later.
As of January 2023, the following devices and operating systems are not supported as broadcast target devices:
- Cisco Collaboration Endpoint (CE)
- LG WebOS
- Samsung Tizen
Was this article helpful?