These release notes provide information on the new features, enhancements, resolved escalations, and bug fixes completed in each release for the Google Slides card, which is also an Appspace supported card.
Release Date: 23 Mar 2023
The Google Slides card has been improved by extending the loading duration to improve performances on lower and medium-end devices, allowing these devices to pre-load the initial slides instead of skipping them.
- CT-3713 – Black screen is displayed on first load during playback on Apple iPad devices.
- AE-8887 – AOpen Chromebox Commercial 2 devices display blank screen during playback.
- The Google Slides card thumbnail when displayed in the Library, may revert to the default card thumbnail image instead of the snapshot image of the Google Slides presentation file, when the size of the Google Slides presentation file contains more than 190 slides (heavy). This is a known issue, and happens intermittently.
Release Date: 30 July 2021
Backend code optimizations on the Google Slides card to improve playback performance.
- CT-2640 – Unable to load Google Slides card in an advanced channel when displayed on BrightSign devices.
- AE-6669 – BrightSign device becomes unresponsive when displaying the last slide in the Google Slides card.
Release Date: 29 Jan 2021
Card Theme Update
The following updates have been made to the card theme:
- The card theme has been updated in the Library with a new design, improving card standardization.
- The card base theme will not be generated during deployment, as the BaseCardTemplate property has been set to false in the manifest.json file in the card template.
- The default fonts have been updated to the following:
- Header text = Poppin font, previously Monserrat.
- Body text = Roboto font, previously Lato.
- The card template has been assigned with the “Productivity and Engagement” content category.
Introducing Card Content Categories
With the introduction of Content Categories in Appspace 8.0 ac.22, all card themes will be assigned with a default content category, allowing organizations to create content, build channels, and target messaging according to workplace communications best practices and internal communication goals.
These content categories can be changed during card creation by the Publisher or Author, as the card theme has been assigned a content category based on the messaging focus. These content categories are defined as follows:
- Culture & Values – Content that promotes company values and affects the employee experience, to help customers drive company values throughout their organization.
- Goals & Performance – content that showcases both long- and short-term goals and measurements of performance, to create shared ownership of company goals and drive employee performance.
- Productivity & Engagement – content with information that keeps the company running, day-to-day, facilitating organizational productivity.
- Safety & Compliance – content with information that supports employee safety and ensures company compliance with regulatory requirements, to help create a safe environment and promote safe behavior amongst employees.
Users will also be able to view the Content Category for every piece of content within a channel playlist. However, cards created prior to this release will not contain a content category and will be considered as “Unassigned“.
Release Date: 29 June 2021
- CT-2550 – The Google Slides card is skipped during playback on Marlin 2G devices running Windows 10.
- AE-6669 – BrightSign device freezes during playback of the last slide in the slideshow.
Release Date: 8 July 2020
The Google Slides card content creation workflow and card editing user interface has been updated and streamlined in conjunction with the release of the completely redesigned Library module in Appspace 8.0.
Redesigned Card Editor
The card editor has been updated with a new UI and workflow, which groups key functions and features into tabs and sections for improved user experience, such as:
- Preview tab – this tab appears only after the content is saved and the editor window is opened. Preview options include Responsive, Responsive 16:9, 2K, 4K, Tablet, Phone, or Custom.
- Edit tab – configure the card layout, message title and summary, logo, background and a featured media/image. Also, depending on card or template type, you may see these additional sections:
- Design section – includes customized design options for each card type, which includes color palette, background, logo, and style selection options.
- Configuration section – includes customized configuration options for each card type, such as chart options.
- Article tab – write the content article, caption, and include a referral link if any.
- Schedule tab – here you add the content directly to any existing channel, and configure its playback schedule and display properties.
- Settings tab – in this tab you may add a name for this card, configure its expiry date, add tags, and add a thumbnail image.
New Category and Tags
When creating a card, you now have the option to filter results based on tags and card template categories which are based on card types such as Messaging, Data, Services, Feeds, and Legacy content – to easily find what you need from a huge list of templates available.
Release Date: 31 May 2019
The Google Slides card has been improved with the following features:
- Improved security via card authentication.
- Ability to customize the slide duration.
- New custom template and themes.
Refer to Create Google Slides cards for more information.
Was this article helpful?