This article provides the instructions to configure synchronized multimedia playback across multiple screens.
Appspace applies controller-worker clock synchronization when scheduling content to ensure the unified synchronization of content across multiple distributed screens.
Clock synchronization nominates a controller device as the timekeeper, while worker devices adjust their time to synchronize with the controller device’s time, synchronizing content playback between screens and speakers, preventing latency drift.
- The devices must meet the manufacturer’s minimum hardware and technical specifications. Please refer to Supported Devices & Operating Systems.
Two or more Appspace App supported devices, installed and configured with the Appspace App within the same environment. However, we only support the following:
- An active Appspace account, with sufficient User IDs for user mode, or Device IDs for device mode.
- An active Internet connection.
- It is recommended that the device clock is set to automatically retrieve time from a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server, with the correct time zone, in order for it to sync correctly with the Appspace server.
- Please ensure your network is configured to allow Appspace Approved URLs and the relevant network ports.On your proxy server, ensure our approved URLs are listed in the ‘How to set up networks with SSL content filters’ section in the following article: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/3504942#sslinspection.
Configure Synchronized Playback
The table below provides a quick description of all device properties required for configuring synchronized playback for mirrored displays.
Follow the instructions below to configure synchronized playback on multiple screens for the Appspace App devices.
- Register your controller and worker devices individually. Follow the instructions in the Register a device article. (Skip this step if devices have already been registered.)
- Once all devices have been registered, navigate to Devices from the Appspace menu.
- Select the designated controller device, and add in the following device properties:
- Select the worker device, and add in the following device properties:
- Repeat Step 4 for all worker devices.
- You may now assign the desired channel to the devices
Debug Synchronized Playback
To debug synchronized playback on mirrored displays, add the following device property to both the controller and worker devices:
- Device time.
- Identify if the device is a controller or worker.
- The Delta (differential) sync between the controller, and worker devices.
- The round-trip between the controller, and worker devices.
- The last updated Delta sync, and round-trip between the controller, and worker devices. If the round-trip between devices is larger than 0.5 seconds, the device will show as offline.
- The controller device will display the number of worker devices connected to it.
- The worker device will display the controller IP address it is connected to.