These release notes provide information on the new features, enhancements, resolved escalations, and bug fixes completed in each release for the Weather Card, which is also an Appspace supported card.
Release Date: 10 November 2022
Implemented a Maximum Character Limit for the Country and City Input Fields
- The Country and City fields accept up to 255 characters of text. If the user enters more than 255 characters of text into the fields, they will receive the error message “Maximum character limits.”
Weather Card Now Contains Place Name
- When creating a Weather card, the location name is now suggested to be included in the card content name; also, the card name can be edited.
- CT-3240 – When the City and Country fields are set to have long names, the advance weather information seems to be pushed down and hidden in portrait mode for tablet and phone resolutions.
- CT-3302 – When using Portrait mode and selecting layout 5-Day forecast in the Weather card, the word “Wednesday” appears misaligned.
- CT-3325 – When a background media is uploaded to a Weather card and the editor preview is set to landscape mode, the media renders with the right aspect ratio, however the anchor is set to the top left, resulting in unexpected behavior.
Release Date: 18 Aug 2022
- The previous Display Option drop-down menu is replaced by toggle options.
- New Enable Custom Location Labels option, which allows the name of a specific location, such as a building, to be displayed in place of the city, country, or state.
- CT-3241 – When attempting to view the Weather card, the Location name with two or more lines is cropped from the content thumbnail.
- CT-3242 – When playing the Weather card on LG 6.0 devices, the location name is shown incorrectly and is nearly cropped off during the first playback loop.
Release Date: 8 Dec 2021
New Layout Type for One Day Weather Forecast
- Ability to select 1-Day Forecast Layout Type in the card editor, in addition to the existing 5-day Forecast layout option.
- The 1-Day Forecast layout will have the same display options as the 5-day Forecast:
- Ability to display the City (default/cannot disable).
- Ability to display the Country/State (default).
- Ability to display the current temperature (default/cannot disable).
- Ability display Motion Background (default).
- Ability to display Advance Weather Information (default).
- Ability to display Temperature Units.
Release Date: 29 Jan 2021
Updated Card Theme
The following updates have been made to the card theme:
- The card theme has been updated in the Library with a new design, improving card standardization.
- The card base theme will not be generated during deployment, as the BaseCardTemplate property has been set to false in the manifest.json file in the card template.
- The default fonts have been updated to the following:
- Header text = Poppin font, previously Monserrat.
- Body text = Roboto font, previously Lato.
- The card template has been assigned to use the “Productivity and Engagement” as the default content category.
Introducing Card Content Categories
With the introduction of Content Categories in Appspace 8.0 ac.22, all card themes will be assigned with a default content category, allowing organizations to create content, build channels, and target messaging according to workplace communications best practices and internal communication goals.
These content categories can be changed during card creation by the Publisher or Author, as the card theme has been assigned a content category based on the messaging focus. These content categories are defined as follows:
- Culture & Values – Content that promotes company values and affects the employee experience, to help customers drive company values throughout their organization.
- Goals & Performance – content that showcases both long- and short-term goals and measurements of performance, to create shared ownership of company goals and drive employee performance.
- Productivity & Engagement – content with information that keeps the company running, day-to-day, facilitating organizational productivity.
- Safety & Compliance – content with information that supports employee safety and ensures company compliance with regulatory requirements, to help create a safe environment and promote safe behavior amongst employees.
Users will also be able to view the Content Category for every piece of content within a channel playlist. However, cards created prior to this release will not contain a content category, and will be considered as “Unassigned”.
Release Date: 14 Sept 2021
AE-7207 – The Weather card displays incorrectly on 2 x 1 video wall displays.
Release Date: 13 Aug 2021
Custom City and Country Name
The Weather card has been updated to allow users to customize the City and Country location names, allowing for branding use cases, such as displaying “Appspace HQ, USA”, or for other specific use cases such as defining delivery zones, once they have configured the weather location to display.
Additionally, users may also configure the City and Country location names via the following device properties.
Customize the Country Name
- Device property: card.weather.label.country
- Property value: <alphanumeric>
Customize the City Name
- Device property: card.weather.label.city
- Property value: <alphanumeric>
- AE-7056 – Unable to display German umlaut characters for locations.
Release Date: 12 Mar 2021
- AE-6600 – The Weather card does not display correctly within the set layout in an advance channel, when displayed on BrightSign devices.
Release Date: 8 July 2020
The Weather Card card content creation workflow and card editing user interface have been updated and streamlined in conjunction with the release of the completely redesigned Library module in Appspace 8.0.
Redesigned Card Editor
The card editor has been updated with a new UI and workflow, which groups key functions and features into tabs and sections for improved user experience, such as:
- Preview tab – this tab appears only after the content is saved and the editor window is opened. Preview options include Responsive, Responsive 16:9, 2K, 4K, Tablet, Phone, or Custom.
- Edit tab – configure the card layout, message title and summary, logo, background and a featured media/image. Also, depending on card or template type, you may see these additional sections:
- Design section – includes customized design options for each card type, which includes color palette, background, logo, and style selection options.
- Configuration section – includes customized configuration options for each card type, such as chart options.
- Article tab – write the content article, caption, and include a referral link if any.
- Schedule tab – here you add the content directly to any existing channel, and configure its playback schedule and display properties.
- Settings tab – in this tab you may add a name for this card, configure its expiry date, add tags, and add a thumbnail image.
New Category and Tags
When creating a card, you now have the option to filter results based on tags and card template categories which are based on card types such as Messaging, Data, Services, Feeds, and Legacy content – to easily find what you need from a huge list of templates available.
Release Date: 6 Dec 2019
The Weather Card has been updated with the following optimizations:
- The weather information label has been updated to display the Low/High order consistently.
- The background weather videos have been updated with slower motion videos, and include a crossfade transition during the video loop.
- Improvements to card background customizations:
- When a user selects a background color with video enabled, the background color is rendered with 30% opacity by default. However, users can manually change the opacity levels.
- When a user uploads an image with video enabled, the image is displayed at 100% opacity by default, which blocks the motion background from being viewed. This can be fixed by uploading a PNG image with transparency levels managed by the user from the source file.
- Animations (transitions) are automatically disabled if a playlist channel contains videos and a Weather card with background video, on BrightSign, LG, & SSSP Tizen devices, to enable smooth video to video playback.
Release Date: 6 Nov 2019
Introducing the Weather card that allows users to display a 5-day weather forecast of the current location.
The following customizations are available on the Weather card:
- Configure the temperature unit in Fahrenheit or Celsius.
- Display temperature unit.
- Display motion background.
- Display advanced weather information.
- Display the country or state of the location.
- Configure text color.
- Configure background color.
Find the weather card configuration article here: Create Weather card
Was this article helpful?