This article provides the instructions to create and configure a Google Sheets card, ideal for displaying Google Sheets information on a TV, by simply configuring the link to a file on Google Drive. This card, with the ability to zoom to specific cells on the spreadsheet, can be configured with a public sharing link without authentication, or a private sharing link with authentication.
The card can be configured with or without Google authentication in place (dependant on your/organization’s privacy settings). A shared private or public link to the Google presentation file is needed to allow the card direct access. A GSuite administrator must configure these settings prior to creating the card.
What’s in this article:
- Ensure your device is compatible, please refer to the Supported Card Types section in the Compare device media player capabilities article.
- Account Owner, Publisher, or Editor (author) role in Appspace required to configure authentication on Google Sheets card.
- Google authentication (optional) and a shared private/public link to the Google presentation file, configured by a GSuite administrator.
To configure the card, follow the instructions below:
- Configure Google Authentication (Optional)
- Create a Google Shared Link
- Create and Configure Google Sheets Card
Configure Google Authentication
Follow the instructions below to configure the Google Sheets card for authentication. Account Owner role required.
- Log in to the Appspace console.
- Navigate to System > Cards from the Appspace menu on the left navigation bar, and click the Themes tab.
- Select Google Sheets from the Filter By drop-down menu, and click the Duplicate icon of the Base Theme.
- Enter in a name for the card theme, and click the Authenticate button.
- In the Sign in with Google window, select or enter in your Google Suite credentials, and click Allow to enable Appspace to access the Google account.
- Click Save once the card is authenticated.
Follow the instructions below to create a shared link to be inserted in your Google card.
- Follow the steps outlined in the Publish a file to the web section, from this Google Help site: https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/9308870
- Click the Publish button, and close the window.
- Once done, follow the Share a single file instructions in the Step 1: Find the file you want to share section, from this Google Help site: https://support.google.com/docs/answer/2494822
- In the Step 2: Choose who to share with & how they can use your file section, ensure you select one of the following options:
- Share a link to the file – Select this option to get a shareable link to a secured Google file, to be used in an authenticated Google card.
- Share a file publicly – Select this option to get a shareable Google file, to be used in an unauthenticated Google card.
- Copy the Google file shareable link to be used in the Google Sheets card
Create and Configure Google Sheets Card
Follow the instructions below to create and configure the card. Account Owner, Publisher, or Editor (author) role required.
- Log in to the Appspace console.
- Click the QUICK ACTION menu on the top right, select Create Card, and proceed to step 4 below. Or click Library from the Appspace menu navigation bar on the left, and proceed to step 3 below.
- Select the desired folder in the library, click the ADD button, and select Create Card.
- Select Google Sheets from the Filter by template menu, and select a desired card template.
- Enter in the Google Sheets shareable URL obtained earlier, and click Next.
- Select the zoom level of the spreadsheet. Default is set to 100%, and anchors to the top right corner.
This can be used to only display certain portions of the spreadsheet.
- Once customizations have been made, click Next.
- In the Save tab, enter in the Title, as this is a mandatory field. Optionally, you may enter in the Article, Caption, Content Expiry, Content Tags and even upload a custom thumbnail for the content.
- Click Save to complete, and you may now proceed to add the card into a playlist channel.