This article provides the instructions to configure multiple devices to work cohesively as video wall displays.
As video wall displays include multiple display monitors and orientations, various hardware specifications, display sizes, and resolutions, Appspace applies the controller-worker clock synchronization when scheduling content to ensure a unified synchronization.
A controller device is nominated for the time check, while worker devices adjust their time to sync with the controller device’s time. Additionally, tile mapping is configured by dividing content into multiple zones and mapping a screen to each zone.
This controller-worker clock synchronization approach is also ideal for video wall displays as there is no limit to the maximum number of display outputs that can be used, which were a constraint with legacy video wall solutions.
Read an introduction to this solution here: Appspace and Video Walls.
- The device must meet the manufacturer’s minimum hardware and technical specifications. Please refer to Supported Devices & Operating Systems.
Two or more Appspace App supported devices, installed and configured with the Appspace App within the same environment. However, we only support the following:
- An active Appspace account, with sufficient User IDs for user mode, or Device IDs for device mode.
- An active Internet connection.
- It is recommended that the device clock is set to automatically retrieve time from a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server, with the correct time zone, in order for it to sync correctly with the Appspace server.
- Please ensure your network is configured to allow Appspace whitelist URLs and the relevant network ports.
- On your proxy server, whitelist the hostnames listed in the ‘How to set up networks with SSL content filters’ section in the following article: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/3504942#sslinspection
Configuring a Video Wall
The table below provides a quick description of all device properties required for configuring the video wall.
Follow the instructions below to configure synchronized playback on multiple screens for the Appspace App devices.
- Register your controller and worker devices individually. Follow the instructions in the Register a device article. (Skip this step if devices have already been registered.)
- Once all devices have been registered, navigate to Devices from the Appspace menu.
- Select the designated controller device, and add in the following device properties:
- Select the worker device, and add in the following device properties:
- Repeat Step 4 for all worker devices.
- You may now assign the desired channel to the devices
Debug the Video Wall Configuration
To debug the synchronized playback on video walls, add the following device property to both the controller and worker devices:
Once in debug mode, the debug layer appears on all devices, and switches between four colors (purple, blue, green, black) if all devices are in sync.
The debug layer also displays the following information:
- Device time.
- Identify if the device is a controller or worker.
- The delta (differential) sync between the controller and worker devices.
- The round-trip between the controller and worker devices.
- The last updated delta sync and round-trip between the controller and worker devices. If the round-trip between devices is larger than 0.5 seconds, the device will show as offline.
- The controller device will display the number of worker devices that are connected to it.
- The worker device will display the IP address of the controller device it is connected to.