This article provides instructions to install and configure BrightSign devices.
- The device must meet the manufacturer’s minimum hardware and technical specifications. Please refer to Supported Devices & Operating Systems.
- Ensure the device has been installed with the latest firmware (v 6.1.76 or higher). Download here: https://www.brightsign.biz/downloads/overview.
- A BrightSign compatible SD card/USB drive/SSD storage device.
- An active Appspace account, with sufficient User IDs for user mode, or Device IDs for device mode.
- An active Internet connection.
- A USB keyboard for activation.
- It is recommended that the device clock is set to automatically retrieve time from a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server, with the correct time zone, in order for it to sync correctly with the Appspace server.
- Please ensure your network is configured to allow Appspace whitelist URLs and the relevant network ports.
- On your proxy server, whitelist the hostnames listed in the ‘How to set up networks with SSL content filters’ section in the following article: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/3504942#sslinspection
Follow the instructions below to setup the BrightSign device:
- Click System > Downloads in the Appspace menu, and download the Appspace App for BrightSign client (autorun.zip).
- Copy the autorun.zip file to an SSD storage, an SD card, or a USB drive according to your preference. If using an SD card or a USB drive, plug in the devices into the BrightSign device.
- The Appspace App installation package will be automatically extracted to the storage device.
- Connect the BrightSign device to a display screen.
- Ensure network connectivity is active, and switch on the BrightSign device. Wait for the device to boot-up and display the Device registration page.
- Launch the Appspace App.
- Register your device.
If using an SSD, once the initial installation and registration process is complete, you may remove the SD card or USB drive, as the Appspace App will operate solely from the SSD storage hereafter.
Enable Closed Captioning on BrightSign
To enable Closed Captioning or subtitles manually, follow the instructions below.
- Login to the Appspace console, and select Channels on the Appspace menu.
- Select the desired advanced channel, and select the Edit tab.
- Click the edit button for the layout containing the Media Zone widget.
- In the editing window, select the Media Zone widget, and click the Properties button.
- Select the Properties tab, and click the Edit button.
- Enter in the following widget property:
- Once done, click Finish.
- Select the Appearance tab, and ensure that Background Color is set to the default value of #000000 with the OPACITY of 0. You may also click the None button to return to the default value.
- Click Apply, and close the window once changes have been made.
- Back on the editing window, change the layout Background Color to #010203 with the OPACITY of 100, or edit the following widget property:
- Click Apply, and Save once done.
Enable Text Overlay over Video
To enable text overlay over video for viewing in interactive mode (user mode on a web browser or mobile device), add a device property, while to enable it on a sign channel, add a widget property to the Media Zone widget instead.
Please see instructions below.
Enable Text Overlay over Video in Interactive Mode
To enable text overlay over video in interactive mode on BrightSign devices during channel browsing, add the following device property:For instruction to add a device property, please refer to Adding New Device Properties.
Enable Text Overlay over Video in an Advanced Channel (sign)
- To enable text overlay over video in a sign on BrightSign devices, add the following property to your Media Zone widget: Adding Widget Property.
- Change the Sign channel layout Background Color to #010203, and set the Opacity slider value between 1 and 100 (non-zero value).
Configure Device Rotation Settings
In Appspace 7.0, a single playlist channel automatically rotates based on the natural orientation of the device. However, BrightSign does not by default have a device orientation setting to support this feature, and instead follows the current, or the last orientation setting of a device.
To play a single playlist channel in the desired orientation, set the device orientation in the BrightSign device settings, as per the following instructions:
- Navigate to Devices from the Appspace menu.
- Select the desired BrightSign device, and click the Settings tab.
- Select the desired Display orientation option.
- Click Save.
Update Appspace App on BrightSign
To ensure the Appspace App is updated on all supported BrightSign devices in the network, follow the instructions below:
- Ensure the network allows devices to be updated.
- Ensure the BrightSign device is configured to receive updates automatically.
Update Appspace App
- Navigate to System > Downloads in the Appspace menu, download the latest Appspace App for BrightSign package, and save it to a hosted folder.
- Navigate to Device Tasks in the Appspace menu, and click the Advanced Tasks tab.
- Click the ADD button, and select the Appspace App : Brightsign App Updater task.
- Configure the advanced task, and deploy it to the network where the BrightSign devices are registered.
- Click Save.
Update BrightSign firmware via Device Tasks
- Download the BrightSign firmware of your device from the BrightSign Downloads site at: https://www.brightsign.biz/downloads/overview
- Extract the BrightSign firmware .zip file.
- Copy only the .bsfw file and paste it in a folder on the local web server.
- Right-click and compress the .bsfw file.
- On the Appspace console, navigate to Admin > Device Tasks, and click the Advanced Tasks tab.
- Click the Add button, and select the Appspace App : Device Firmware Update task.
- In the Common Parameters section, enter in the URL to the BrightSign firmware package on your local web server (from Step 3 above).
- In the Deploy To section, select the desired network to deploy the task to.
- In the Schedule section, select the desired deployment option.