The Cisco Webex Board and Room Series devices, which are part of the Cisco Collaboration Endpoint devices, now have a new feature that allows the display of digital signage on connected Cisco video screens when they are not being used for screen-sharing, whiteboarding, or conferencing.
Available on Cisco’s Webex Cloud, the solution is part of Cisco’s Room OS.
To leverage this, all you need to do is input a URL that points to the Appspace App, which is called via an integrated browser. The Appspace App (PWA) will run on the browser as signage, and will be automatically enabled when the device is not in use for conference or collaboration.
With signage mode enabled, the Webex device offers a full digital signage experience, supporting both passive and interactive digital signage capabilities. It allows the user to watch live or recorded video, view presentations, web content, or to book a meeting room directly from the Cisco device, using an Appspace channel.
This article provides the instructions to configure signage mode for Cisco Collaboration Endpoint devices, namely the Webex Board and Room Series devices.
- The device must meet the manufacturer’s minimum hardware and technical specifications. Please refer to Supported Devices & Operating Systems.
- Supported Cisco CE devices running the latest Cisco Room OS, registered on Webex Cloud. We support the following devices:
- Cisco Webex Board Series – Board 55, Board 70, Board 85S
- Cisco Webex Room Series – Room 55, Room 70, Room Kit, Room Kit Mini, Room Kit Plus, Room Kit Pro.
- Integrator role account on the Webex Board/Webex Room devices
- An active Appspace account, with sufficient User IDs for user mode, or Device IDs for device mode.
- An active Internet connection.
- At least one Appspace playlist/live/advanced channel. For channel browsing, multiple channels/channel groups are required. Click here for instructions to create a playlist channel, live channel, or advanced channel.
- It is recommended that the device clock is set to automatically retrieve time from a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server, with the correct time zone, in order for it to sync correctly with the Appspace server.
- Please ensure your network is configured to allow Appspace whitelist URLs and the relevant network ports.
- On your proxy server, whitelist the hostnames listed in the ‘How to set up networks with SSL content filters’ section in the following article: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/3504942#sslinspection
Configure the Collaboration Endpoint (CE) Device for Signage Mode
- To enable signage mode on the Cisco Collaboration Endpoint (CE) device, follow the instructions outlined in the Enable Digital Signage on Cisco Webex Boards and Room Series Devices document:
https://help.webex.com/en-us/nmd8log/Enable-Digital-Signage-on-Cisco-Webex-Boards-and-Room-Devices You may use either the Set Up Digital Signage Directly from Cisco Webex Control Hub or the Set Up Digital Signage from the Web Interface method.
- Enter in the relevant Appspace App PWA URL in the Digital Signage URL field when required, as follows:
- Appspace Public Cloud:
- Appspace Private Cloud:
- Appspace 7.0 On-Prem:
- https://<APPSPACE_FQDN>/app/pwa/?registrationmode=passive or
- Appspace Public Cloud:
- Once the Cisco CE device enters idle mode, the signage mode is activated and launches the Appspace App displaying the registration code.
- Follow the instructions, from Step 2 onwards, in the Register a device article.
- In the Channel selection mode field, select one of these playback options and assign a channel (if already created):
- Channels will autoplay sequentially – this option is currently available only for playlist channels. Channels with autoplay based on the playlist sequence or any scheduling or dayparting settings configured.
- Administrators can select a single channel – ideal for signage, you may select either a playlist channel, an advanced channel or a live channel. However to select a channel here, the channel must already be created prior to this registration. If the channel has not been created, you may skip this step and assign a channel later.