This article provides the instructions to configure an Appspace playlist channel as a wallpaper with customized messaging, to be displayed in the background, when a Cisco Webex Share device is in an idle state.
The Cisco Webex Share is a palm-sized, affordable device that allows you to quickly and easily share content to any display without using cables or dongles. Wirelessly share an entire screen or a specific app with one click from Webex Meetings or the Webex Teams app.
Appspace leverages Cisco’s API on the Webex Share in order to manage content while the device is in idle mode. From the Appspace console, you can generate a registration URL that is used in the Webex Control Hub to configure the device and have it register itself.
Appspace can also be configured to display alerts and emergency messages over the wallpaper when triggered. Both the wallpaper and the alerts are only displayed when the Cisco Webex Share device isn’t in use.
The wallpaper content will change periodically based on the playlist channel’s predefined schedule and playout duration (e.g. every 30s, hourly,).
- Appspace 7.1 or higher.
- An active Appspace account, with sufficient Device IDs to register the device.
- An Appspace playlist channel, with content only consisting of images set to a minimum of 60 secs duration per item. Click here for instructions to create a playlist channel.
- Supported Cisco Webex Share device running the latest firmware (novum1.1.0 e1f2d27292v and newer).
- A Webex Control Hub account with the Digital Signage feature enabled by the Cisco team.
- An active Internet connection.
- It is recommended that the device clock is set to automatically retrieve time from a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server, with the correct time zone, in order for it to sync correctly with the Appspace server.
- Please ensure your network is configured to allow Appspace whitelist URLs and the relevant network ports.
- On your proxy server, whitelist the hostnames listed in the ‘How to set up networks with SSL content filters’ section in the following article: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/3504942#sslinspection
Follow the instructions below to configure and register a Webex Share device on the Appspace console.
- Login to the Appspace console at https://cloud.appspace.com.
- Launch the device registration page via one of the following methods:
- In the Register a New Device window, click the advanced device registration link.
- In the Configure Advanced Registration window, select Cisco Webex Share as the Deployment method, and select the desired network.
- Select the playlist channel that will be displayed as the wallpaper for the Cisco Webex Share device.
- Click the Generate Registration URL button.
- Copy the Cisco Webex Registration URL link.
- Log in to the Cisco Webex Share device, and navigate to the Configurations section, and click Access Configurations (number may vary depending on your Webex Control Hub setup).
- Select the DigitalSignageServer option from the available configurations.
- Paste the copied Cisco Webex Registration URL link, into the empty URL fieldand click Apply.
- The Cisco Webex Share device will be registered to your Appspace account.
- Once done, you may proceed to assign a channel to the device from the Appspace console (if not done in Step 5 above), by following the instructions in the Assign Channel to Device article.