This article provides the instructions to register your device with Appspace using a network policy file, an advanced device registration method ideal for bulk-registering devices in your local network.
- An Appspace App supported device installed and configured with the Appspace App.
- An active Appspace account, with sufficient Device IDs to register the device.
- Account Owner or Network Administrator privileges in Appspace.
- Local network administrator role to configure the DNS server entries for your network.
- Log in to the Appspace console.
- Launch the device registration page via one of the following methods:
- In the Register a New Device window, click the advanced device registration link.
- In the Configure Advanced Registration window, select Network Policy for the Deployment method drop-down menu.
- Proceed to Select a network. If a network has not been created, you may skip this step and assign a network later.
- In the Channel selection mode field, select one of these playback options and assign a channel (if already created):
- Users can browse published channels – this is the interactive mode or channel browsing mode, ideal for TVs or displays with touch-screen, or with a mouse/keyboard attached.
- Channels will autoplay sequentially – this option is currently available only for playlist channels. Channels with autoplay based on the playlist sequence or any scheduling or dayparting settings configured.
- Administrators can select a single channel – ideal for signage, you may select either a playlist channel, an advanced channel or a live channel. However to select a channel here, the channel must already be created prior to this registration. If the channel has not been created, you may skip this step and assign a channel later.
- Click the Save button.
- Back in the Register a New Device window, click Show advanced options and enter:
- Device description – type a brief description for the device such as its location or its function.
- Device group – select an exiting device group. Skip this step if there is no device group created. You may assign a device group later.
- Device tag – select from exiting tags or type in new tags.
- Click the DOWNLOAD POLICY FILE button to download the policy.json file to your default download folder.
- Copy and paste the policy.json file to the “/discovery/api/v1/” folder in the “wwwroot” directory of your local web server.
- On your local DNS server, create the hostname entry “appspace-discovery”, which points to the web server hosting the policy.json file in the format below:
- Unregistered devices connected to your local area network will now be automatically registered by the Appspace App when it detects the local policy file on the network.