This article provides the instructions to create a Room Schedule card in the Appspace console, and configure it with custom provider settings. The Room Schedule card has two primary calendar providers that you can configure with: Google Calendar and Microsoft Office 365.
To accommodate users using other email providers, we have introduced the Custom Provider option, which is simple and easy to configure; users only need to enter the calendar provider URL and API key. However, it is important to note that calendar scheduling should already be configured and working in the user’s environment.
The Room Schedule card is ideal for single room scheduling. When the Room Schedule card is configured and displayed on a tablet or device outside the respective meeting room, the following features will be available to you:
- Room information: the room name and status indicating if the room is available, offline, or occupied is displayed.
- Meeting information: details of current meeting and upcoming meetings for the day.
- Booking functions:
- Book now – ability to book 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 1.5 hours from the current time, based on room availability.
- Book in advance – book future time slots (on the same day only) or up to 7 days in advance, based on room availability.
- Check in – option to check in to a meeting from 10 minutes before until 10 minutes after the start of the meeting.
- Extend meeting – extend current meeting by 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 1.5 hours.
- End meeting – end current meeting, and make the room available.
In order to use the room booking and scheduling service with our Room Schedule card, you must do the following:
- Create Room Schedule card in the Appspace console.
- Create a playlist channel and add the Room Schedule card.
- Assign the playlist channel to a registered device (tablet) installed with the Appspace App.
- Book a room directly on the Appspace App or via your email calendar.
What’s in this article:
- Account Owner, Publisher, or Editor (author) role in Appspace role in Appspace to create and configure the Schedule Board card.
- Preconfigured booking account and resources with the custom provider.
- It is recommended that the device clock is set to automatically retrieve time from a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server with the correct time zone, in order for it to sync correctly with the calendar provider.
Appspace Cloud servers retrieve time from a NTP server by default. If an Appspace on-prem server is used, configure the on-prem server to retrieve time from an NTP server with the correct time zone.
If using an Appspace on-prem deployment, configure the on-prem server and network to allow constant access to https://*.cloud.appspace.com and its subdomains, to ensure each device is able to attain new authorization tokens from the calendar provider on a regular basis via Appspace API services.
To create and configure the Room Schedule card, please follow the instructions below: Enter in the card Title, and click Save.
Create Room Schedule Card
This option allows you to use the same card (with the defined configuration and branding themes) for multiple rooms.
This option allows you to assign one room directly to this card. If you have 10 rooms, you must create 10 cards for each room.
Name Device Property Value Room Name card.room.roomname Alphanumeric and special characters Room Label card.room.label.room Alphanumeric and special characters Room Facilities card.room.facilities Ethernet Phone Projector VideoConference WhiteBoard WiFi ScreenShare Room Capacity card.room.capacity Numeric characters
To create and configure the Room Schedule card, please follow the instructions below:
Enter in the card Title, and click Save.Optionally, you may enter in details for the Article, Caption, Content Tags, and add a Custom Thumbnail for the card.
Create Playlist Channel and Add Room Schedule Card
- Click the Quick Actions menu, and select Create Channel to create a playlist channel. Enter in the Playlist channel name.
- Click ADD CONTENT, and select the Room Schedule card from the Library. Click Add once done.
- We recommend setting the Content Duration of the card to 30-minute intervals, (current default is 8 seconds) so that the card does not refresh while you are updating the booking details.
- Click the Apply button to save the settings.
Assign Playlist Channel to a Registered Device
- Register your device as per the Register a device article.
- Go to the Appspace menu, and select Devices.
- Select the name link of the device that will be used for the meeting room.
- In the Device Information page, click the Settings tab, and select Admin assigns a single channel option from the Channel selection mode drop-down menu.
- Navigate back to the Overview tab, and click the Select channel button, and select the playlist channel with the Room Schedule card, created earlier.
- Click Save. The meeting room booking service can now be viewed on the device.
Book Meeting Room via a Calendar or the Appspace App
For booking instructions, please see Booking Single Meeting Rooms.