The Appspace App for Devices is typically used to display content on a TV connected to devices with purpose-built platforms such as Chrome, Android, BrightSign, LG webOS, Samsung SSP, UWP, etc., or on tablets (Android, iOS, UWP), that have been registered as devices, with content published directly to the devices, or when a browser is registered and published as a device.
In this article, we provide information on how to invoke the screens, device menus, app menus, virtual keyboard, search function, and settings, using a remote control or on touch screen displays.
What’s in this article:
- Users browse published channels – this is the interactive mode or channel browsing mode, ideal for touch screen TVs or TVs with remote control, to display corporate content and enterprise tv, in any common space. When displaying the channel browsing mode, anyone can browse and play any content published to this device. Publishers may assign any type of content, and channel type (playlist channel, an advanced channel, or a live channel).
- Autoplay published channels – when this option is selected, one or more channels will autoplay on the device. This option is ideal for wallpaper displays in collaboration devices, video walls, interactive billboards, and any other workplace or public space signage needs. No user interaction is needed. Content is displayed according to scheduling or dayparting settings. While a Location Admin configures this setting, a Publisher must publish channels to the device and configure the scheduling settings. Only a playlist channel is supported.
- Administrators can select a single channel – this option displays only one channel, with any type of content, and channel type (playlist channel, an advanced channel, or a live channel). It is ideal for information kiosks, POS systems, bulletin boards, room scheduling, and simple signage.
Display on TVs (Channel Browsing)
The below illustrates the default display of the Appspace App in device mode on a TV, when the “Users browse published channels ” channel selection mode is set for the device either during device registration or device configuration, and content is published to a device.
You must use a remote control, touch screen, or an attached mouse or a keyboard in order for you to use the menu-driven interface.
- The menu on the sidebar can be easily accessed by tapping or clicking the Sidebar panel. To close, tap or click the Sidebar panel or anywhere on the screen.
- The menu contains the Search function and the following shortcuts: Home, Recently Added, All Channels, Live Streams (if available), and a list of all Channel Groups (if available).
Touch Screen Navigation
- You may swipe up or down to scroll vertically through the channels in the Home, Recently Added, and All Channels screens.
- You may swipe left or right to scroll horizontally through the channels listed in the channel group.
- Tapping any input field invokes the on-screen keyboard. However, if a physical keyboard is plugged-in to the device, the on-screen keyboard does not display.
- Tap or click the Search icon, and enter in a keyword, based on title, description, or tag to perform a search.
- Utilizing predictive search, results are displayed as soon as characters or numbers of the keyword are entered in the search field.
- Tapping or clicking any of the shortcuts found on the Sidebar takes the user to the specific screen.
- The Home shortcut returns the user back to the main Appspace App screen.
- The Recently Added shortcut displays a composite of all recently added channels and channel groups that is published to the device in chronological order.
- The All Channels shortcut displays a composite of all channels, regardless of channel group that is published to the device in alphabetical order.
- The Live Streams shortcut displays all live streams that is published to the device.
- The channel group shortcuts display all channels within that specific channel group that is published to the device.
- If only a single channel group is published to the device, the displayed channel tiles cascade down the entire height of the screen and are not restricted to a single row.
- Tap or click a Channel to start playing its contents, which will be displayed in full screen.
- Once the Channel is playing, touching or clicking anywhere on the screen, or selecting OK / UP on a remote, brings up the Information or EPG Data overlay.
- For content such as images, video, or cards, the Information overlay displays the content Title, Article (if available), Scrub bar (for video content), and thumbnails for the previous and next content in that channel.
- For Live Channels, the EPG Data overlay displays the live stream name, current program playing, program time and duration, and also any upcoming programs in that stream. If EPG Data is not available, only the live stream name is displayed, while the other information is left unavailable.
- For content tagged with “Interactive” or “Productivity“, there will be a persistent black bar on the bottom of the screen, which allows users to bring up the menu.
Display on TVs (Single Channel/Autoplay Channels)
The below illustrates the default display of the Appspace App in device mode on a TV, when the “Autoplay published channels” or “Administrators can select a single channel” channel selection mode is set for the device either during device registration or device configuration, and content is published to a device. Only a playlist channel is supported for this option.
- The Device Menu provides access to Restart, Resync, Reset Content, Unregister, Log View, Device Info, Enter/Exit Single App Mode (only for iOS devices), and also displays the Appspace App version, IP address, and device type.
- To access the Device menu on touch screen displays, tap each corner of the screen once from clockwise, beginning at the top right corner, and finally tap the top right corner three times. To close and return back to the Home screen, tap the Sidebar panel. Tap Sequence: 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 1, 1
- To access the Device menu with a physical keyboard, press the ‘Ctrl + Alt + M‘ keys simultaneously. To close and return back to the Home screen, press the ‘Backspace‘ key.
- In the Device Info screen, users may view the following device information:
- Device Name
- Device GUID
- Device IP
- Device Firmware Version
- Server URL
- CPU Usage
- Memory Usage
- Storage Usage
- Current Channel
- Server Connection
- Active CDN/Smarthub
- Application Timestamp
- Device Local Time
- Device Up Time
- Sync Status
- Single App Mode – (only for iOS devices)