Create meeting room card with Google Calendar
This article provides the instructions to create a Meeting Room card in the Appspace console.
The Meeting Room card is supported on iOS, Android, and Chrome OS based devices only.
In order to use the room booking service with our Meeting Room card, you must do the following:
Configure your calendar data providers with a service account. We currently support the following two calendar data providers:
Google Calendar (this article)
Microsoft Outlook Calendar. With MS Outlook, we have two configuration options:
- Use a booking account with global administrator privileges to book all meeting rooms in the organization.
- Use a booking account with limited administrator privileges to implement the booking functionality on specific rooms only.
Create the Meeting Room card.
Create a playlist channel and add the Meeting Room card to it.
Assign the playlist channel to a registered device (tablet) installed with the Appspace App.
Book a room directly on the tablet or via your email calendar.
When the Meeting Room card is configured and displayed on a tablet outside the respective meeting room, the following features will be available to you:
- Room information – the room name and status indicating if the room is available, offline, or occupied is displayed.
- Meeting information – details of current meeting and upcoming meetings for the day.
- Booking functions -
- Book now – ability to book 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 1.5 hours from the current time, based on room availability.
- Book in advance – book future time slots (on the same day only) or up to 7 days in advance, based on room availability.
- Check in - option to check in to a meeting from 10 minutes before until 10 minutes after the start of the meeting.
- Extend meeting - extend current meeting by 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 1.5 hours.
- End meeting - end current meeting, and make the room available.
If you are a user looking for information on booking a room via our card or the calendar, please refer to Book a meeting room.
- An iOS or Android tablet. Click here to view compatibility: Compatible operating systems and devices
- Appspace App 1.28 and above, installed and registered on an iOS or Android tablet. Click here for instructions: Register my device
- A Google Calendar booking account, resources, and delegation access, configured by your G Suite Administrator. Click here for instructions: Configure Google Calendar for Meeting Room cards
- Content Administrator or Account Owner role in Appspace to create and configure Meeting Room card.
It is recommended that the device clock is set to automatically retrieve time from a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server, with the correct time zone, in order for it to sync correctly with the calendar provider and Appspace server.
Appspace cloud servers by default retrieve time from a NTP server. If an Appspace on-premises server is used, ensure the server time is automatically retrieved by a NTP server.
Create the Meeting Room card
To create and configure the Meeting Room card, please follow the instructions below:
Log in to Appspace Cloud at https://cloud.appspace.com with your Appspace credentials.
Click the Quick Actions menu, and select Create Card to create the meeting room card.
Select the Meeting Room Card.
Select the Google Calendar data provider, and click Connect.
Enter in your Google Calendar service account credentials for meeting room bookings to authenticate the Meeting Room Card.
Please contact your G Suite Administrator for credentials. Some large organizations may have one account for each room.
Once authentication is successful, assign a room to the card by selecting one of the two options provided.
Automatic room assignment from a player property – this option allows you to use the same card (with the defined configuration and branding themes) for multiple rooms.
You must then add a player property (card.room.roomid = <resource id>) to each device and ensure it points to the desired meeting room. (One specific tablet for each meeting room.)
Device 1 player property for Meeting Room 1: card.room.roomid = 47563454656
Device 2 player property for Meeting Room 2: card.room.roomid = 34547409516
The resource id is obtained from the GSuite Calendar Resources page for each physical meeting room configured; refer to the B. Configure Google Calendar resources section below.
Click here for instructions to Add a device property. You will need Network Administrator or Account Owner privileges to add a property.
Manually selecting by room name – this option allows you to assign one room directly to this card.
If this manual option is selected, while the device is also configured with a player property for automatic room assignment, then the manual assignment of the room takes precedence.
Configure the booking options that will be available to the user, by checking the Enable bookings check box, to display the following Booking Options:
- Allow naming of meetings.
- Allow users to end meetings.
- Allow users to extend meetings.
- Enable advanced booking.
- Enable time slot availability on front page.
- Enable meeting check-in.
- Allow 7 days advance booking.
In the Styling section, check the Show upcoming meetings checkbox to display upcoming meetings of the day. To display the time in 24 hour format, check the 24 hour clock checkbox.
You may further customize the Meeting Room card, by the following options:
- Room Name
- Room Label
- Background color or media
- Background Mask Color
- Available State Color
- Occupied State Color
You may set an image or a video as the background media.
The preview pane displays the card. Click the Card Configuration icon to preview the Occupied or Offline status, change the room, or to log out from the card.
The booking status of the meeting room is only a preview and is not indicative of the real status in this preview.
Enter in the card Title, and click Save.
Optionally, you may enter in details for the Article, Caption, Content Tags, and add a Custom Thumbnail for the card.
Please leave the Expires on field blank. Do NOT enter an expiry date.
Click the Quick Actions menu, and select Create Channel to create a playlist channel. Enter in the Playlist channel name.
Click ADD CONTENT, and select the Meeting Room card from the Library. Click Add once done.
We recommend setting the Content Duration of the card to 30-minute intervals, (current default is 8 seconds) so that the card does not refresh while you are updating the booking details.
Click the Apply button to save the settings.
You will need Network Administrator or Account Owner privileges to perform the steps below.
Go to the Appspace menu, and select Devices.
Select the name link of the device that will be used for the Meeting Room.
At this point, the device (tablet) should have already been registered as per the prerequisite stated above.
In the Device Information page, click the Settings tab, and select Admin assigns a single channel option from the Channel selection mode drop-down menu.
Navigate back to the Overview tab, and click the Select channel button, and select the Meeting Room playlist channel created earlier.
Click Save. The meeting room booking service can now be viewed on the device.
Refer here for the booking guide: Book a meeting room.
Configure Google Calendar for Meeting Room cards
The instructions in this section must be completed first by a G Suite Administrator prior to configuring a Meeting Room card in Appspace.
Follow the instructions in the order listed below:
- A. Create a booking account in G Suite
- B. Configure Google Calendar resources
- C. Configure Google Calendar delegation access
A. Create a booking account in G Suite
We recommend creating one account in G Suite that will be used specifically for the Meeting Room card configuration. We will call this the booking account.
To create the booking account, follow the instructions in the Add users individually article here: https://support.google.com/a/answer/33310?hl=en
Add the basic account information, such as:
- First and Last name
- Primary email address
You may skip all optional information.
Proceed to section B below.
B. Configure Google Calendar resources
All meeting rooms in an organization are known as resources in Google Calendar.
We recommend gathering all meeting room information based on the Formats to user section in the article: https://support.google.com/a/answer/1033925, prior to configuring the Google Calendar resources.
To configure the resources in Google Calendar,
Follow the instructions in the About Calendar resources article: https://support.google.com/a/answer/1686462?hl=en
Follow the instructions in the Create buildings, features, and resources step to add each meeting room in your organization as a resource to the calendar.
Follow the instructions in the Manage calendar resources step to add all meeting rooms configured with the meeting room card to the calendar’s list.
You may skip steps 4 and 5 in that article, and proceed to section C below.
C. Configure Google Calendar delegation access
Configure delegation access in Google Calendar to allow the Meeting Room card to make bookings on Google Calendar. To do this, you have two options:
Configure each resource individually to provide permissions to the booking account
To delegate access to the booking account, follow the instructions in the Delegate calendar access article: https://support.google.com/a/answer/117596?hl=en
- In Step 4, select the resources (meeting room) calendar.
- In Step 5, enter in the booking account email address in the Share with specific person field.
Repeat the above steps for all resources (meeting rooms).
Proceed to the Create the Meeting Room card section above.
Configure the booking account with super administrator privileges
Providing super administrator privileges to the booking account gives it full access to all users’ calendars and event details. For more information please refer to https://support.google.com/a/answer/2405986#super_admin.
Follow the instructions in the Assign administrator roles to a user article: https://support.google.com/a/answer/172176?hl=en
- In Step 4 of Assign roles to one user, select the booking account created earlier.
- In Step 6 of Assign roles to one user, select the Super Admin role.
Proceed to the Create the Meeting Room card section above.