Create RSS card
This article provides the instructions to creating a RSS card, which allows users to quickly and easily customize how RSS feeds are displayed on-screen.
You can create a RSS card with the following options:
- Unauthenticated RSS card using valid public RSS feeds.
- RSS card using authenticated RSS feeds.
- RSS card using a private URL.
An improved RSS card is made available on August 27th 2019. The RSS card is now an Appspace Supported card, which will be periodically updated by Appspace with new templates and features.
Existing RSS card templates (prior to this release) which were categorized as Community Cards will be removed from the Appspace console.
The following customizations are now available on the RSS card:
- Display RSS feed summary and media.
- Configure RSS media aspect ratio.
- Disable low resolution media on RSS feeds.
- Upload a custom font.
- Configure text color.
- Configure feed duration.
- Configure date format.
- Upload custom logo.
- Enable transitions between RSS feeds.
- Configure transition effects and colors.
Please refer to our An Introduction to Cards and Channels guide for an in-depth introduction to the types of cards that are ideal for your signage solutions.
Cards are only supported on devices with the Appspace App. To ensure your device is compatible, please refer to the Supported Card Types section in the Compare device media player capabilities article.
Legacy devices are not supported.
Follow the instructions below to create and configure a RSS card:
Click the Quick Actions menu on the top right and select Create Card, and proceed to step 3 below.
Or click Library from the Appspace Menu navigation bar on the left, and proceed to step 2 below.
Select the desired folder in the library, and click the ADD button, and select Create Card.
Select RSS Card from the Filter by template menu, and select a desired card template.
Enter in the RSS feed URL in the address field on the card.
If authentication is required, check the Requires Auth checkbox, and fill in the required credentials.
Supported RSS formats: RSS 1.0, RSS 2.0, mRSS, Atom 1.0
Select the Feed Item Duration to set the number of seconds each content is displayed before the next within the feed.
Select the display options for the RSS feed:
- Enable Transition - Display a transition between feed content. Selected by default.
- Enable Custom Logo - Allows users to upload a custom logo for company branding.
- Show RSS Media - Display media content from the RSS feed. Selected by default.
- Show RSS Summary - Display the content summary from the RSS feed. Selected by default.
- Show RSS Date - Display the content date from the RSS feed. Selected by default.
- Hide Low Resolution Media - Display only high resolution content from the RSS feed.
- Keep Aspect Ratio - Display the content in its original aspect ratio from the RSS feed.
The following customization options are available:
- Use a custom font.
- Customize the card Text Color
- Customize the card Background Color or Media.
Additional customization options are available when the following displays options are selected:
Select Enable Transition to configure the transition effects and color:
- Transition Effect
- Transition Color 1
- Transition Color 2
Select Enable Custom Logo to upload a custom logo.
Select Show RSS Date to configure the Date Format.
Fill in the Title, as this is a mandatory field. Optionally, you may fill in the Article, Caption, Content Expiry, Content Tags and even upload a custom thumbnail for the content.
Click the Save button.